Bookie Status Report: Aug 1st 2011

Phew, with PyOhio out of the way and my tutorial done, I can get back to Bookie. Sorry that I missed the last couple of weekly status reports. Honestly, there wasn't a ton, but there was some work going on.

So first, let's go over what's been going on.

Mobile View

I put in a bunch of work redoing the mobile view. It's still using jQuery Mobile, but I redid the javascript that ran it, I implemented an HTML5 history api to doing the tracking as you go from "page" to "page". I put that in quotes because pages are driven by just json api calls. There's no real new html page load after it gets started.

Of course, it's not totally released yet. There's a bug using it with Android. It works in Google Chrome and it seems to work on iOS. The most current version is live on the htp://bmark.us site.

Docs

There's been a lot of work to help prepare the docs for the 0.3 release coming. Craig did some great work helping going through parts of it and finding things I had missed.

API

Ok, here's the one that's going to hurt. I fleshed out most of the rest of the api to get the mobile site updated and such. There's still one view left out there, but the api is going to get reworked. Issac Kelly's talk at PyOhio reminded me that an api is all about resources, not just implementing what your app does via json. So I really need to rethink things. Of course, since the web site, the mobile site, and the extensions all use the api, there will be some work there to get everything updated. This means 0.3 is going to be delayed form where I wanted.

The docs are also pitiful when it comes to the api. Once things are updated I really want to get them really solid. A good api I think will be a big boost to Bookie going forward. So this is another heads up that 0.3 will be a bit delayed, but hopefully this will all pay off.

PyOhio Sprints

The sprints went awesome. While I was hoping to get a lot of coding myself, that was a poor expectation. I spent most of my time working on the mobile site updates and the documentation. We had some six or so people that managed to get it install. It really proved that there's some work to get for easing the installation process.

What was really cool was that once people got it installed, there was work getting done. Dave Brondsema added the urls to the main ui so you can see the url. He also added a branch flag for the bootstap.py script which should help enable bootstrapping both dev and stable versions easily.

I want to really thank everyone for taking part in the sprints and I really hope there are some people that find the project interesting and want to take part going forward.

Todo

Next up on the todo list:

  • redo the api and docs
  • fix this android mobile issue
  • keep working on the install docs. The bootstrap vs the long way was really confusing to users.

Taking Part

If you care to help or follow along make sure to follow the project on github: http://github.com/mitechie/Bookie

  • Current Chrome Extension: 0.3.8
  • Most recent code updates: develop branch
  • Current working branch: feature/api