parser

Weekly Status Report: April 29th

More hacking! Spent a big part of the week working on my Penguicon presentation so few commits.

Bookie Parser

  • Tweaked the readable view with some nice CSS, dark background, favicon support, etc. Much nicer to read article with it now.
  • Got the tests running on the TravisCI service.
  • Updated the API to fill out and support all the bits of data I need for this to replace my readable parsing on the main Bookie project.
  • Some refactoring and cleaning up duplicate code.

Bookie

The big thing here was to start up some JS to use the Bookie Parser api in order to load the readable content of a website as you're bookmarking it from the edit page. In this way, users of the bookmarklet will have a better experience as they can now see their article, but it's shown in cleaned up readable form. I need to clean it up and catch some edge/error cases, but it's a start. Once it's solid we can then use that content to store the page content and have immediate readable results instead of waiting for the next cron job to run in the background.

Bookie Weekly Update: April 22nd 2012

Another week, another few lines of code, and yay for two weeks in a row!

Bookie

Not a ton here, just some CSS updates and updating the backup script for pulling the INI correctly.

Bookie Parser

I spent some time cleaning up the CSS. I did some research on the most readable fonts for screens and surprisingly, it seems that sans serif wins on digital displays. So I updated the CSS and combined with some work on the Bookie main CSS files to make the readable pages a bit nicer. I've still got some more cleanup to do, but it reads a bit nicer now.

I also fixed the html generated to not have the empty body tag. It was due to the way the readable parsing library was giving me a full html document of content. See the updates over there for some bigger updates.

Finally, I added a form on the main page so you can try it out on a url just by entering it. So if you're just curious what it does, go try it out!

Bookie Api

Just added a ping command. It should help make sure that the configuration is correct for new users. It's also a nice start to a non-admin specific api command. A little bit of cleanup aside from that, but nothing major.

readability_lxml

Currently, Bookie uses a library called decruft for parsing html pages for the actual important article content. The bookie_parser project is using a different fork of that called readability_lxml. The author is a bit open to merging changes in and actually says she's in 'maintenance mode'. Since I kind of want a really decent library for this, it's an important feature, I started hacking on it. In the process, this is where my week of hacking went.

First I updated it to allow me to get back only a partial html document vs an entire <html> doc. I then fixed some bugs, started cleaning up the code (adding tests, making the command line client all nice and argepare'y) etc. In the process I noticed that there's a big branch in Github that adds a ton of things like multiple page document support and such. I've started to try to pull his branch into my work and the origin author's code. It's a LOT of git cherry-pick and really a pain since I want to clean up the code as I go. Unfortunately, this just means that Git gets confused on future merges since the code's changed between commits. Ugh!

I'm about half way done though and I hope this will leave us with one solid library to do this parsing. I'm hoping to kind of take over stewardship of the library as I complete this work. It should hopefully make Bookie and bookie_parser all the more awesome.

The coming week

I'm giving a talk on the YUI JavaScript library at Penguicon. This means my hacking time will be a bit less since I've got a presentation to prepare for. Next week's status report might be a bit light and boring, but hey, maybe I'll scrounge up some more beta users of Bookie while at the conference.